OEP’s portfolio competition has moved to a digital format and follows the National Energy Education Development Project’s (NEED) guidelines. Consider your portfolio a slideshow of what you’ve done in your school. Here’s the scoop on the changes….
Gone are the scissors and glue sticks! Portfolios are now submitted in a digital (PDF) format. You can choose the program you use (Power Point, Prezi, etc.) but your final document must be converted into a PDF. We can help with that if you need it.
View a Sample Digital Portfolio
Signature vs. Foundation Projects
NEED has developed two categories for projects. See NEED’s website for additional information needed for each project. Each category has unique requirements:
• Covers several school activities
• Up to 15 slides that showcase goals of the projects, activities completed, student leadership and results achieved.
• Will be judged by age category-Primary (K-3rd), Elementary (4th-5th), Junior (6th-8th), Senior (9th-12th)
• Covers a single project or activity
• Up to 4 slides that showcase the goals and results of the project
• Foundation Projects are not eligible for Top 5 Ohio Awards, but may receive special awards. More on awards below.
A 3 minute YouTube video is an optional addition to either a Signature or Foundation Project. In Ohio, there is also the option to submit a YouTube Video for judging without submitting a digital portfolio.
WHAT’S THE SAME?
Projects are still due on April 15, 2017, at 11:59pm. Because judging will be done online, we are not able to accept portfolios past the deadline.
Ohio schools will receive their awards at the Youth Energy Celebration on May 16th, 2017 at COSI. Online registration will begin April 1, 2017. Any Ohio school participating in an OEP program and has submitted a portfolio may attend the Celebration.
WHAT AWARDS WILL BE GIVEN?
Division Awards-1st-5th place in each grade level division (primary, elementary, junior, senior). Only Signature Projects will be eligible for Division Awards.
Special Awards-OEP will continue to give the following awards to Ohio schools. Signature AND Foundation Projects will be eligible:
• Hope Award-Outstanding 1st time project
• Energizer Award-Unique energy program or activity
• Innovation Award-Excellent promotion of energy efficiency within the school or community
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY SCHOOL’S DIGITAL PORTFOLIO?
All submissions will be through NEED’s website. OEP staff will have access to Ohio’s projects that have been submitted for judging.
If you are entering a YouTube video with a portfolio, that will also be done through NEED’s website. If you are only submitting a video without the portfolio, that will be done through OEP’s website. Details on that process will be coming soon.
Contact Sue Tenney if you have specific questions.